Initially I thought that with a couple of weekends effort this would be done. Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.
I started by building a database of public data files, and used Excel to make some dashboard views. I added some basic filtering options and liked what I'd done. After only a few days it broke, as the dashboard file had become too large for Excel to cope, and it corrupted to a point beyond repair. I had only made four metrics.
For the next version I switched to Power BI. This held a lot of potential and is still my go-to software for building prototypes. However after connecting a few data sets and building some visualisations it was clear that whilst brilliant, it was going to fall short of my vision.
So that was it.
If I wanted to have the tool I believed would take NHS analysis and performance monitoring to a whole new level, I would have to plunge into the world of "real" computer programming. The work to build a simple, agile, robust tool for NHS public data began. Evenings and weekends were no longer mine, becoming time for trial and error learning and full immersion into this new world. At times I felt like I was living a hybrid of the films "The Social Network" and "A Beautiful Mind".
After much longer than I'd hoped, version one eventually turned into version 1001, and finally into the service that Public View is launching to the world.
It has been a difficult road, and there have been so many set backs I could fill several "how not to" books. However at each stage I felt great excitement about new insights revealed by each development. I could see the potential this has to transform the way Public Data can influence change inside the NHS. With this, we can make our services more effective and better for patients.
- Top 100 Hospitals 22 May 2022
- Continuing Health Care metrics 16 May 2022
- Maternity Replaces Board Scorecard 15 May 2022
- Conference Season 04 May 2022
- Better Blog Search 04 May 2022
- Board Reports and Headlines 02 May 2022
- More ICS Support 25 Apr 2022
- Innovation in the NHS 22 Apr 2022
- Easter Eggs 16 Apr 2022
- New Financial Year New Data 14 Apr 2022
- New Cloud 03 Apr 2022
- Good Ideas 29 Mar 2022
- Additions and Fixes 26 Mar 2022
- System Updates 21 Mar 2022
- Public View joins BCN Group 14 Mar 2022
- End to natural births targets 23 Feb 2022
- SOF and HCPS Reports 16 Feb 2022
- Diagnostic Activity Metrics 09 Feb 2022
- Search 02 Feb 2022
- Accessibility 28 Jan 2022