Initially I thought that with a couple of weekends effort this would be done. Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.
I started by building a database of public data files, and used Excel to make some dashboard views. I added some basic filtering options and liked what I'd done. After only a few days it broke, as the dashboard file had become too large for Excel to cope, and it corrupted to a point beyond repair. I had only made four metrics.
For the next version I switched to Power BI. This held a lot of potential and is still my go-to software for building prototypes. However after connecting a few data sets and building some visualisations it was clear that whilst brilliant, it was going to fall short of my vision.
So that was it.
If I wanted to have the tool I believed would take NHS analysis and performance monitoring to a whole new level, I would have to plunge into the world of "real" computer programming. The work to build a simple, agile, robust tool for NHS public data began. Evenings and weekends were no longer mine, becoming time for trial and error learning and full immersion into this new world. At times I felt like I was living a hybrid of the films "The Social Network" and "A Beautiful Mind".
After much longer than I'd hoped, version one eventually turned into version 1001, and finally into the service that Public View is launching to the world.
It has been a difficult road, and there have been so many set backs I could fill several "how not to" books. However at each stage I felt great excitement about new insights revealed by each development. I could see the potential this has to transform the way Public Data can influence change inside the NHS. With this, we can make our services more effective and better for patients.
- Updated Stroke Metrics 15 Oct 2021
- User Interface Updates 11 Oct 2021
- 287 Metrics 07 Oct 2021
- Automated Testing 20 Sep 2021
- New Release 09 Sep 2021
- New User Defined Reports 04 Sep 2021
- NHS Template Errors 26 Aug 2021
- Templates Direct Database Connexion 26 Aug 2021
- Statistical Process Control (XmR) Tool 25 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 23 Aug 2021
- User Defined Pages Beta 22 Aug 2021
- New Top Level SPC Icons 18 Aug 2021
- Public View World Wide 14 Aug 2021
- Public View G Cloud 13 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 06 Aug 2021
- More SPC Chart Goodness 05 Aug 2021
- A New Blog Site 04 Aug 2021
- Release 1.4, Database Access 29 Jul 2021
- New SPC Charts 02 Jul 2021
- New Maternity Indicators 02 Jul 2021