Public Source NHS Data sets are the truth
When each organisation publishes their data for the world to see, they are telling everyone "this is our performance".
There may be mistakes, human errors, incorrect interpretations but fundamentally there is truth in this data.
If you say that your performance is "x" but actually it is "y", the world will judge you on "y", therefore you must correct or improve either the service or the metric, you can't ignore it. That is why these data sets exist.
When reviewing information from internal sources it is all too easy to focus on how you are unique, and to explain why comparisons don't apply.
Hospital Episode Statistics
Even when using commercial Hospital Episode Statistics bench-marking tools, many NHS Trusts record the same things differently. Because of this, hospital leaders may well spend more time discovering if something is really comparable instead of acting on what it is saying.
Public View Data
But with public data, things are different.
If you tell the world that your infection rate is x% and everyone else is doing better, you have identified a problem which you're fairly likely to have to correct.
Knowing that every bit of data is subject to a strict methodology and validation process gives great confidence, gives the ability to directly compare your metrics with those of others.
Everyone has to report:
- the same things
- for the same time period
- to the same rules
- in the same format
- at the same time
This means that I can compare "truth" across all organisations. I can see if my performance is within normal ranges, is excellent, or something to be concerned about. I can also see which organisations I might be able to learn some best practice lessons from, and who has been on the type of improvement journey that I want for my services.
- Updated Stroke Metrics 15 Oct 2021
- User Interface Updates 11 Oct 2021
- 287 Metrics 07 Oct 2021
- Automated Testing 20 Sep 2021
- New Release 09 Sep 2021
- New User Defined Reports 04 Sep 2021
- NHS Template Errors 26 Aug 2021
- Templates Direct Database Connexion 26 Aug 2021
- Statistical Process Control (XmR) Tool 25 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 23 Aug 2021
- User Defined Pages Beta 22 Aug 2021
- New Top Level SPC Icons 18 Aug 2021
- Public View World Wide 14 Aug 2021
- Public View G Cloud 13 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 06 Aug 2021
- More SPC Chart Goodness 05 Aug 2021
- A New Blog Site 04 Aug 2021
- Release 1.4, Database Access 29 Jul 2021
- New SPC Charts 02 Jul 2021
- New Maternity Indicators 02 Jul 2021