Following last week's "offline working" update, this week Public View launched as a Progressive Web Application.
That means you can install Public View on your phone's home screen and it'll notify you when there's new data available.
Whilst you can't log in to the application when you're offline, you can continue to use it offline should your network connection drop. The application stores everything you look at, so if your train gets stuck in a tunnel you can still check out the latest metrics.
- We've built and tested the application with Google Chrome, Firefox , and
Microsoft Edge where it works flawlessly.
- Safari plus built-in phone browsers should work fine but have not yet been tested by us.
- IE11 doesn't support Web Push, but is easily upgraded to the current Microsoft browser (Edge) or something else.
Installation: One Click
Just browse to the site with a modern browser and you should be prompted to install the site as an Application. If you don't see the prompt, or if you dismiss it the first time, then the option to "install on the home page" is available in all modern browsers.
If you want, you'll need to separately "subscribe" to web notifications and give permission for the App to use these when prompted. You can find the button to turn notifications on in your "profile" page within Public View.
You don't have to opt in to notifications, but if you do then Public View will notify you when new data's published, and the application will automatically refresh so you can see the new data with just a click.
That's possibly three or four clicks, depending on browser, but it's quick and easy. If you change your mind, just select the application icon on your home screen and select "remove", which is definitely a single click.
Feedback on how users are getting on with this is welcome.
Progressive Web Apps are very new and support is uneven, so we can't be sure everything will work perfectly on all systems.
If you have a problem, please contact us through the web site. We'll need to know which type of phone (iPhone or Android), and which browser (eg Safari, Chrome etc). We can't fix browsers, but we may be able to help get you running.
- Updated Stroke Metrics 15 Oct 2021
- User Interface Updates 11 Oct 2021
- 287 Metrics 07 Oct 2021
- Automated Testing 20 Sep 2021
- New Release 09 Sep 2021
- New User Defined Reports 04 Sep 2021
- NHS Template Errors 26 Aug 2021
- Templates Direct Database Connexion 26 Aug 2021
- Statistical Process Control (XmR) Tool 25 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 23 Aug 2021
- User Defined Pages Beta 22 Aug 2021
- New Top Level SPC Icons 18 Aug 2021
- Public View World Wide 14 Aug 2021
- Public View G Cloud 13 Aug 2021
- Public View Database Service 06 Aug 2021
- More SPC Chart Goodness 05 Aug 2021
- A New Blog Site 04 Aug 2021
- Release 1.4, Database Access 29 Jul 2021
- New SPC Charts 02 Jul 2021
- New Maternity Indicators 02 Jul 2021